Our Office is looking for highly motivated individuals who are interested in learning more about the inner workings of the federal government. I have included below more information about our internship program:
A little bit about the internship program:
In the Washington, DC office, internships run throughout the fall, spring, or summer semesters for college students. Our internships provide students with invaluable work experience. The hours are flexible to accommodate students’ hectic course schedules but generally run 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. when Congress is in session and 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. when not in session. Both of the internships will be compensated via a monthly stipend.
Applications for the Summer internship program are due on April 10th at 11:59 p.m. ET. In your cover letter, please state your availability and which position you are applying for.
Legislative Intern Role & Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Drafting constituent correspondence
- Researching various legislative issues and writing policy memos for the Congressman
- Attending briefings, hearings, and markups and drafting related memoranda on various issues brought through the House
- Responding to constituent mail and answering office phones
- Researching Congressional legislation supporting Congressman Ruiz and his Legislative Staff
Communications Intern Role & Responsibilities:
- Provide internal support for the communications team, including, but not limited to: proofreading, website management, and daily press clips.
- Conduct media research of national, state, and local press to keep press lists up to date.
- Assist in the development of digital communications, including social media and e-newsletters.
- Interns will have the opportunity to observe, participate in, and learn about Capitol Hill communications.
- Prepare various communications materials for the Congressman.
Please let me know if there is anything that you might need from me, or if you have any other questions and/or concerns.
Ale D’agostino (she/her)
Staff Assistant | Congressman Raul Ruiz, M.D. (CA-25)
O: 202-225-5330 | 2342 Rayburn HOB
About Congressman Raul Ruiz
I hope all is well. My name is Ale D’agostino, I am the Staff Assistant for Congressman Raul Ruiz (CA-25) and our office is looking for interns for this Summer (2023)! I wanted to reach out and see if you would be able to share the information with your students. Congressman Ruiz graduated magna cum laude from UCLA and went on to Harvard University, where he earned his Medical Degree, as well as a Masters of Public Policy from the Kennedy School of Government and a Masters of Public Health from the School of Public Health, becoming the first Latino to earn three graduate degrees from Harvard University. He completed his Residency in Emergency Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh and a Fellowship in International Emergency Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. During his training, Dr. Ruiz served as a consultant to the Ministries of Health of both Serbia and El Salvador. In 2012, as Dr. Ruiz continued his work as an Emergency Room Doctor until he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2012!